You just never know where you'll chance upon a mighty fine recipe! I spend hours scouring the internet or zipping through cookery books for tempting treats when all I really need to do is look on some labels in my very own kitchen since today's recipe comes direct from the side of my cereal box.
I love the contrast of the chewy oats and sultanas and the crisper bite of the sunflower seeds. Add to that the zesty punch of the juice and rind of a lemon and orange and you're onto a winner, gosh darn it!
And yes, the inclusion of heathy sunflower seeds and plump, organic sultanas COMPLETELY negates any calories that may otherwise come from the margarine, brown sugar and syrup. And don't let anyone tell you any different.
The best thing about this recipe is the skill level required to produce these delectable oat squares - pretty much nil. Yup, that's just how easy it is! So no excuses, Warriors, I simply do not want to hear: "But Ginger Warrior, I can't bake!".
EVERYONE can bake and this right here is the perfect recipe with which to get started. So start. There really is no time like the present and nothing more satisfying than a zesty, oaty square!
- 100g/4oz sultanas
- the juice and zest of 1 lemon
- the juice and zest of 1 orange
- 200g/7oz margarine (I used Stork)
- 100g/4oz brown sugar
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 250g/9oz rolled oats
- 100g/4oz plain flour (all purpose)
- 100g/4oz sunflower seeds
- Pre-heat oven to 170º/340º
- Grease a 20cm tin and line the base with parchment
- Simmer the sultanas in the juice of an orange and lemon for 5 mins
- Gently heat the margarine, brown sugar, syrup, and orange and lemon zests until melted
- Add the oats, flour and sunflower seeds
- Mix in the sultanas and juice
- Bake for 30-35 mins
P.S. If you like this post or any of my other posts then why not share them by clicking on one of the icons below? You will?? I knew you would!! :) xxxxx